Friday, May 31, 2013

Ordaining Directors

I decided the other day that since I am writing now about spiritual direction, it might be good to go back and re-read some of the books on the topic that I read years ago. I thought it might be interesting to do so in light of having more experience myself. I was reading this morning and got to thinking about my own, sometimes not too pleasant, experiences with other directors. The reality is that a lot of people out there who “graduate” from direction training programs are not really gifted and don’t really understand what direction is all about. They can do much damage when they inflict themselves on others in the name of spiritual direction; damage not only to the reputation of spiritual direction, but damage to the person as well!

 

I think that this is why in the old days you were ordained for a role not by fulfilling some academic requirements but by the personal mentoring with an experienced practitioner. This was true of Christianity and Judaism, as well as other religions such as Buddhism. You received your commission or ordination directly from that authority or group, based on their personal experience of you. Their seal of approval said, “This person is capable and competent to carry on this work and pass it on to others.”

 

Maybe we should return to this model in spiritual direction (and maybe other areas as well!). We would have fewer people who could claim legitimacy but really don’t know what they are doing. I have thought for years that if I ever trained directors it would be more of a one-on-one or small group environment, rather than a classroom. My experience this past year working with a group of newly minted directors has confirmed this direction in me. This seems to be a more effective way of preparing people for this vital work.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment